Sunday, November 3, 2013

To inquiry or not to inquiry?

Inquiry-based learning is my bread and butter. In my work as an Educator with the Florida Museum of Natural History, the majority of programming I create for children (and even adults!) is based on the idea that children will learn about the natural history of Florida through interaction with science.


Visitors engaging with a wetland model with the UF Wetlands Club at ButterflyFest this past October at the Florida Museum of Natural History (Photo Credit: ©Florida Museum of Natural History photo by Jeff Gage)
 
I find that children learn better by touching items or engaging with experiments. For example, they will discover how waves impact a seashore by creating their own wave demonstrations and studying erosion patterns and actually seeing it happen through their experiments much better than I could ever tell them in a lecture. Through my work with the Museum, I can definitely say that a child's interaction with material is a better teacher than I could ever be. Granted, guiding them through exploration helps them to investigate it and think about it in new and different ways than they might have done on their own. But overall, the opportunity to see and hold something brings it off the page and into their world.


Experimentation with seashores at the Long Island Children's Museum
.
Learning is done through experience-- whether that experience is a lecture/discussion or by touching artifacts. Children should be given every opportunity to create meaning for themselves rather than just having meaning thrust upon them.

While I tend to be biased toward inquiry and experience based learning, it is definitely important to make sure the ways in which we teach are varied and can meet the needs of all of our students-- whether it is objectivist or constructivist. With that said, I don't think it is necessarily fair to say that one way is more correct than the other. I am definitely a huge fan of inquiry-based, or constructivist, learning but I understand and see the benefits behind a more structured and standardized learning approach. However, the best approach we as educators can take is the most varied one-- where we incorporate different methods and opportunities for children to learn.










 

5 comments:

  1. I love inquiry based learning. It gives the material real life meaning for the kids and breaks up the monotony that is most other classes. It may not work as an everyday lesson but it should definitely be thrown in there every now and then to give the students something new and fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that inquiry-based learning can create a vivid impression of a topic, and gain student engagement. Still, to avoid too many wrong conclusions and misunderstandings that could detract from the experience, I would incorporate advance organizers. It helps the students focus on what's important, see the overall picture, and give structure to their observations. It also aids recall when the activity is reviewed.... Awesome pictures as examples! I'm intrigued by those topics now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish every class could be taught in a hands-on museum or learning lab! But from what I have seen of pacing guides, there is practically no time to do anything but tell the kids what they should know and barrel on to the next nugget of info they are supposed to ingest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hands-on learning! I personally think its one of the best ways to learn but that may be because that's how I learn best. I feel it works really well as a multi-step process, being taught the material, then having it presented it to you and then be able to handle and manipulate it yourself. My nephew who is 8 is going to a montessori school, which follows that kind of idea, and it works great for him where as the traditional classroom settings were not working out. But as Sabrina said, in our curriculum, we don't have that kind of time if were trying to follow pacing guides. Which I find is very unfortunate because alot of children have a hard time learning in the "sit still and listen" kind of atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should check out this group: http://www.quantumlearning.com/. :)

    ReplyDelete